- We will deliver 150 hectares of new tree planting a year across the borough through to 2025, with a total of 750ha over the lifetime of the planting programme. We will ensure these are the best trees for capturing carbon and will work with partners to ensure the right mix of species for bio-diversity. As part of this, we will review the Council’s land holdings, including its farm estate, to explore the case for this land to contribute to the Council’s goal of becoming carbon neutral by 2030. This may include reviewing opportunities to support low-carbon agricultural practices which reduce emissions and increase carbon sequestration, alongside promoting solutions such as tree planting, wetland management and creation.
- We will support opportunities for natural flood management to increase carbon sequestration and deliver improved catchment management. For example, we have already commissioned a catchment model for Northwich to determine how best to alleviate the flood risk. We will see this work is completed and seek funding from Government to act upon its findings.
- We will implement our Biodiversity strategy which sets out how we will promote biodiversity and carbon sequestration through new approaches to managing our green spaces. This will include our new policies on wildflower verges, enhancing local biodiversity in greenspaces through re-wilding and we will explore opportunities to deliver income generation through Woodland management.
- We will identify a ‘network of land opportunity’ that can be adapted to improve long term environmental, social and economic benefits. This will involve engaging with landowners, farmers and others to identify target areas, options and routes to deliver real environmental change.
- We will continue to explore opportunities to rewild and protect natural habitat with partners in our borough, including finding solutions to tackle local environmental disasters like acid tar lagoons. We will also be robust in our approach to working with across different organisations to set a clear road map for stopping sewage dumping in our rivers and on our coastline.
The next Labour government has committed to stopping sewage dumping in rivers and open water.