HANDING MORE POWER TO LOCAL PEOPLE THROUGH PARTICIPATORY DEMOCRACY
1. Cheshire West Labour has always worked hard
for a fair, transparent and efficient council
where residents come first. We want to make
sure the democratic process puts residents at
the heart of everything we do:
2. We will improve digital access to council services and support those who are at risk of digital exclusion.
KEEPING OUR SPENDING LOCAL AND CREATING AN ETHICAL LOCAL GROWTH FUND
3. Working on the principles of the Local Wealth Creation Fund first introduced by Preston City Council, we will work with other large local, public sector organisations to harness the power of our spending on goods and services locally. We will aim to identify local supply chains, which strengthen our local economy, and continue our commitment to ethical sourcing (including supporting fair trade where appropriate).
4. To harness the power of the local pension fund, we will seek support of the membership to create an ethical local growth fund which will stimulate enterprise in Cheshire’s economy and achieve a return on this investment for the funds members.
5. A Cheshire West Social Value Policy will be developed and implemented, so that when public money is spent in the private sector, local people benefit from the opportunities for jobs, skills, training and fair pay.
6. We will continue to press for more devolved powers and funds from central government, so we can work with our sub-regional partners to find local solutions to long standing issues with public transport, housing, health services, skills and employment.
7. The Time Credits project has encouraged and rewarded volunteers for taking part in community projects and will be further developed with our voluntary sector partners.
8. Labour will lead the way on supporting small
9. Our commitment to the Cheshire West Local Living Wage will be expanded by encouraging even more local employers to join the scheme. By 2023, all council-owned companies will be paying the Cheshire West Local Living Wage and we will encourage our staff to spend locally and to save locally in the West Cheshire Credit Union.
RETURNING SERVICES BACK INTO PUBLIC CONTROL SO YOU HAVE A SAY IN HOW THEY RUN
10. Every opportunity to bring outsourced services back in house when it offers value for money for residents will be explored and we will seek to grow alternative models of local ownership in our borough, including the creation of cooperatives.